IND vs PAK Semi-Final World Cup 2023: A blockbuster contest that could very much become a reality in the ongoing ICC World Cup 2023 would be another round of the India vs Pakistan fixture. The recent permutation and combinations of the showpiece event have a good chance of staging a semi-final contest between arch-rivals India and Pakistan on November 15.
As per the current points table of the World Cup 2023, Team India, qualified for the semi-finals, have secured a top finish with eight consecutive victories in the tournament. India’s resounding 243-run win against South Africa ensured the Men in Blue an unassailable top-of-the-table finish at the end of the league stage with one fixture still to go.
Meanwhile, South Africa, also qualified, is placed second with 12 points. Australia has 10 points and is in the third spot while three teams – New Zealand, Pakistan and Afghanistan, have eight points each and are placed in the fourth, fifth and sixth place respectively.
With India confirmed to remain in the pole position, they will take on the number 4 ranked team in the first semi-final of the World Cup 2023, the place which will be contested by New Zealand, Pakistan and Afghanistan. While the Netherlands will have an outside chance to take a leap and occupy the fourth spot, although, very improbable.
If Pakistan manages to secure fourth place in the points table, then the India vs Pakistan Semi-Final World Cup 2023 will become a reality and a treat for cricket fans to witness another epic contest between the two rivals.
This article will lead you through how Pakistan can qualify for the semi-finals and make the India vs Pakistan semi-final clash a reality:
India vs Pakistan Semi-Final World Cup 2023 Scenarios
Australia is placed third in the points table with 10 points and still two games to go. A single win, from their remaining two games, will help them secure a berth in the semi-finals and they will be sealed at the third position. Then there will be only one vacant semi-final spot which will have four contenders.
Semi-Final World Cup 2023 Qualification Scenarios:
- Pakistan’s best scenario for semi-final qualification would be to win their remaining game against England and hope both New Zealand and Afghanistan lose their remaining matches in the World Cup 2023. This will put Pakistan at 10 points while the other two teams will finish at 8 points. Hence a direct semi-final qualification for Pakistan.
- However, if Afghanistan seals at least one victory off their two remaining fixtures (against Australia and South Africa), and New Zealand loses against Sri Lanka, then Afghanistan and Pakistan will be tied at 10 points and the net run rate will be prevalent in deciding as to who takes the fourth semi-final spot. Pakistan has a slightly better net run rate than Afghanistan, which is a great sign for the Men in Green.
- If Afghanistan wins both of its remaining matches, then they will finish with 12 points which will rule out the possibility of Pakistan’s qualification for the World Cup 2023 semi-final and the eventual India vs Pakistan semi-final.
- Moreover, if New Zealand wins their last fixture, and Pakistan and Afghanistan, both, lose their remaining games, then New Zealand will take the semi-final spot.
- If New Zealand and Pakistan manage a victory in their last fixture, while Afghanistan also manages to win one of their remaining two matches, then all three teams will finish with 10 points and the net run rate will come into play. The team with a better net run rate will proceed to the semi-finals.
India vs Pakistan semi-final World Cup 2023 will only be possible if Pakistan bags the fourth semi-final spot. If that happens, the semi-final 1 will be India vs Pakistan on November 15 in Mumbai’s Wankhede Stadium.
Visit the ICC OFFICIAL WEBSITE for more recent updates.