English pacer Ollie Robinson suspended following his racist and sexist tweets.
England and Sussex pacer Ollie Robinson has been suspended from all forms of cricket and will miss the second test between England and New Zealand following his historic controversial tweets, said the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).
The 27-years old cricketer made his impressive test debut at Lord’s in the game against New Zealand that ended in a draw. He led the English pace attack at home of cricket and stripped off 4 wickets in the first innings while 3 in the second for the hosts before scoring a useful 42 with the bat in the first innings.
However, the cricketer’s on-field brilliance was masked out by his controversial sexist and racist tweets that re-surfaced on the internet which he posted when he was a teenager.
“England and Sussex bowler Ollie Robinson has been suspended from all international cricket pending the outcome of a disciplinary investigation following historic tweets he posted in 2012 and 2013,” said an ECB statement after the end of the first test.
“He will not be available for selection for the LV= Insurance second Test against New Zealand starting at Edgbaston on Thursday 10 June. Robinson will leave the England camp immediately and return to his county,” it added.
Robinson found himself in trouble as his old tweets, dating back to 2012 and 2013, caused a huge stir as soon as he got his test cap. The speedster’s tweets suggested that Muslim’s are linked to terrorism and also made derogatory remarks on the people of Asian heritage.
Ollie Robinson issued an unreserved apology:
He issued an apology after the stumps on Day 1 and said that he is “ashamed” and “embarrassed” with his historic comments on a very special day of his life.
“On the biggest day of my career so far, I am embarrassed by the racist and sexist tweets that I posted over eight years ago, which have today become public. I want to make it clear that I’m not racist and I’m not sexist.
“I deeply regret my actions, and I am ashamed of making such remarks. I would like to unreservedly apologise to anyone I have offended, my teammates and the game as a whole in what has been a day of action and awareness in combatting discrimination from our sport.”